In November 1936, Professors Charles L. Jamison of the University of Michigan and William N. Mitchell of the University of Chicago sent letters to teachers of management courses inviting them to a meeting at the Quadrangle Club, University of Chicago, to discuss the formation of an organization of educators to advance the philosophy of management. The professors attending the meeting on December 28, 1936, agreed that the new organization should be called the Academy of Management. Future annual meetings were to be used for exploring the organization's purpose and presenting and discussing scholarly papers.
As the Academy of Management evolved, concerns arose about lack of support for scholarly research in management. Members saw such research as the necessary foundation for defining the Academy of Management as an academic rather than a practitioner organization. To formalize the Academy's support for research and the exchange of ideas, the membership created a constitutional committee at the Academy's 1940 meeting. A constitution formally adopted on December 30, 1941, declared the Academy's scholarly purpose.
No meetings were held during the World War II years. Reactivation of the Academy of Management occurred in Chicago on December 27, 1947. The following year, in Cleveland, the Academy was broadened to become an organization of college teachers of management. The original founding members became the AOM Fellows.
Since its beginning in 1936, the Academy has evolved from an organization of 10 members to an organization of over 19,000 members from nearly 120 nations. Today, the Academy's 25 professional divisions and interest groups promote excellence in established management disciplines. The Academy of Management continues to support scholarly activity and the exchange of ideas through our divisions and interest groups; annual meeting; specialized conferences; six journals and associated content; Academy of Management News; Connect@AOM; and collaborative activities with affiliated and associated societies.
Prior to 1994, the Academy's head office was located at the volunteer treasurer's university, rotating with each new appointment. In that year, the Academy's Board of Governors made the decision to hire professional staff for the growing association and conducted a national search for a more permanent home. Pace University was selected from the field of potential candidates and the Academy resided at Pace from 1994 to 2016. AOM moved off-campus to independent space in Briarcliff Manor, NY in 2016.